I LOVE all the " Improv" videos, something that brings smiles and connects people where ever they are and who ever they are. It's perfect, I wish it would happen sometime where I am.
On the link Digital Media and learning on the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur site I watched a few of the videos pertaining to 21st century Learning.
This philosophy of teaching is so close to my heart.
The fact that I started teaching when "Whole language " was popular, the fact that I'm an art teacher and the knowledge that I learn so much more when I follow my curiosity and interests with help, support and guidance have all combined to reinforce my believe that we are not helping our students to love to learn, but instead fight to try to hold onto ways to "educate" them in an antiquated system. And for so many it isn't working.
Connie Yowell says it so well. (in fact I posted her video here, I liked it so much:)
We need to shift from:
Education to learning
Consumption to Participation in production
Institutions to Networks
Why, at this point in time with so much information and experiences available to us would we remotely believe that one teacher, or even one school and respective students are all we need in our "learning environments" ? Why not the world....linked via technology.
Thank you Melda . An opportunity to be reminded why I'm getting this degree. I can only hope to help create an environment that our students are self directed to work with their peers and adults. Follow their passions and interests and become lifelong learners.
I would love to visit the school Quest to Learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment