Wednesday, March 7, 2012

First post for Web 2.0 class

I've been thinking about what to do for this assignment. I had thought that I would start a whole new blog and try to get a conversation going about some of the things going on in education now. But as I looked at the blogs I had created I thought that this one had some interesting thoughts that I wanted to keep. I worked on this last June when I was in transition from New Mexico to Washington state for the summer, it was a bit crazy, heading from a very "connected" situation to a log cabin in the mountains with no internet connection. This blog was worked on in The Kettle Falls (tiny) library and at my friends houses. Needless to say, the good thing about returning to NM in the Fall was the connection for my classes.

What I would love to hear from people is thoughts about what I see as the the conflict between the endless testing and teaching to tests as opposed to helping our students to prepare for their future with 21st century skills,some how they don't mesh. I believe we will move away from testing as we see less and less success with the way things are being done in most American schools.

5 comments:

  1. I would love to not teach to the test! That is a goal of mine and I always voice my opinions about that. (Not usually a favorite when that happens). I will say in Las Vegas we are offering more and more classes online and through computer programs. We also have several school that are completely project based learning using technology tools. I hope the technology boost here in Vegas continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It makes me happy to hear this, Our district is so behind in so many ways. I wish I taught at a project based school,it would be great to visit one and see how it all works.
    One of the reasons I'm in this program is to promote more online learning in my district.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a challenge in my school as well. We have so many challenges that prevent students from achieving level 3/4. We have IEP's that specify level 2 as a passing level. This enables students with sever learning disabilities the ability to graduate under semi-normal standards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that we are bound tightly by very prescribed materials that are supposed to be addressing the needs that we determine exist due to the abundant testing we do. Between redundant assessments and rather ineffective materials, we are creating a bigger problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree Candace I know some is necessary, but I also know we could find ways to better address individual needs and be a little more creative.

    ReplyDelete