The article Does Multimedia Information Help People Learn reinforces what I know to be true. I learned long ago that if I was trying to learn a technique or process, if I had visuals with the text I would understand it. Or if someone demonstrated the process as I read the text I would understand it. If I merely had the text and was required to learn and demonstrate a technique from the text, it would be very difficult and I'm positive that details would be missing.
Of course, If I had experienced the process or practiced the technique prior to learning(again) from the text it would be so much easier.
It's always been interesting to me because if I am instructed with "redundant media" it is so easy, I learn fast, and I feel equally intelligent to my peers. I found it interesting as a learner and a teacher when I was learning alongside people that could easily decipher text into a process or technique without illustrations. For those that don't require 'redundant media' an additional form of instruction, video, illustrations etc. in my opinion, will only enhance understanding.
In the introduction Lawrence J. Najjar states that previous beliefs supporting the findings in this paper were "based more on personal opinion than on scientifically based fact". Considering this statement and my description of my personal experience, it seems obvious that educators have been aware of the need to use "redundant media" when teaching a lesson, even without scientific evidence.
Technology has introduced a new media, another tool. When a student's learning is not enhanced with technology I question whether the student has been instructed in accessing all that technology has to offer. I also question the level of confidence, availability and experience a student has with the tools necessary. Although many students have grown up with technology in the home and school environment many students have not.
The beauty of technology in terms of multimedia, is the variety of media that can be offered simultaneously and interactively. Najjar also comments on this fact in that "The media clearly support one another".
I have to agree with Najjar when he states,"multimedia information helps people learn-sometimes" but I add that the "sometimes" is most of the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment